Friday, July 17, 2009

A Last Crusade for Jordan




My attempt at getting some sun on the beach in Aqaba was perhaps a bit too earnest. I ended up with a slight burn on my shoulders and a little bit on my legs as well. Being the skilled person I am, I managed to tan just the left half of my right leg, front and back. Despite these small setbacks, I had a very pleasant and relaxing visit to Aqaba, staying at the newly opened Kempinski Red Sea Resort. The hotel is so new, in fact, that they won’t have their grand opening until late August. It was a fantastic opportunity to stay at such a nice hotel because the young staff were excited about the new property, eagerly serving the few guests, and they weren’t yet disillusioned by the often frustrating life in the service industry.

I asked the concierge on duty if she thought it would be possible for me to get a car and driver to take me to Petra, see the site and then proceed to the Amman airport in time for my 5PM flight to Doha. There was a bit of confusion as we talked through the process, but I was patient and helped her understand exactly what I needed, and eventually we had it all set. I would leave at 7AM, drive 2 hours to Petra, spend 3 to 4 hours walking around and then continue on for the 2.5 to 3 hour drive to Queen Alia International Airport.

At 7AM, I was closing up my suitcase as the phone rang. It was the concierge letting me know that my driver had arrived. I went downstairs to checkout, and she had breakfast and lunch packed up for my journey. It was a pleasant surprise, and the perfect example of how staff can go above and beyond before they learn to hate guests. It’s unfortunate for us nice people, but there are far too many overly demanding, impatient and outright rude customers out there to expect service staff to always offer service with a smile.

We made it to Petra right on time. The driver helped me purchase a ticket, and then I set out hiking through the rocks. It was early enough in the morning, that there were few other tourists there, so at times I felt like I was all alone in this incredible location. When the wind would blow through the rocks, I could almost hear the whispers of ancient Nabatiya telling me stories of ages past. I can’t begin to explain how picturesque Petra really is. A cool breeze blew through the rocks offering relief from the intense desert sun. Coming across the major structure of the ancient Nabatian city was breathtaking, and it really felt like a step back in time with no sounds of modern life nearby.

An enchanting morning of exploring part of the ancient world was over, and I was back in the car speeding away to the airport. I made it to Amman with plenty of time to spare and was soon on my flight to Doha.

2 comments: