Monday, May 11, 2009

Entering the Blogosphere

In less than a week, I will be on my way around the world again. The trip will take me almost three months, and I will be visiting at least 17 countries along the way. I'm sure I'll have the usual stories and adventures to share along the way, but it's just too difficult to keep up with everyone's email addresses anymore, and someone always gets inadvertently left out. For this reason, and this reason alone, I have finally thrown in the towel and started a blog.

I am not a blogger by choice, rather convenience. This whole concept, while sometimes interesting and fun to follow, is just a little too trendy for me. I've always felt my time would be better spent writing a book and selling it than spewing stories into the bottomless pit of cyberspace. That said, I tend to like my friends and family, and for some reason they like to keep track of me when I'm wandering around the planet. Posting on this thing will be much more efficient than sending out emails.

Don't expect me to post something everyday - I don't even know if I'll have easy access to the internet in many locations. I'll post when I feel like it and I can, so deal with it. I'll do my best to make sure I share when something particularly entertaining happens.

So, why exactly am I spending my summer traveling, when I really shouldn't be spending the money? School - that's why. On August 12th, I will be starting law school, a three year commitment that will severely limit my travel opportunities. For the last four years, I have been running my own business organizing tours in Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia & Herzegovina. It's been fun, it's been a learning experience, and it's been a great excuse to travel on a regular basis to far off places. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not done with the travel business. It's just on hiatus while I pursue other ambitions. Being in school full-time precludes me from hopping on the Lufthansa flight to Munich whenever a good fare pops up, so I'm going to do my best to get as much traveling out of my system this summer as possible. Envy may make some dislike me for the journey I'm about to have, but alas... I don't care. Traveling keeps me sane (as sane as I get), and I'm thrilled to be visiting new places, meeting new people, trying new things, and over the next few months, I'll try to share some of those experiences and what they really mean for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment