Wednesday, May 20, 2009

What's Not to Love?


The last two days, I have been serving as a guide here in Salzburg for two great clients. I really am one of those lucky few that has a job they truly enjoy. Sure, travel planning and touring have their trying times, and, yes, I have had some difficult times with clients. Overall, however, my job is fantastic. I get to travel to great places, become friends with my clients, show them some of the things I love in life, and most of it happens with at least some great food & drink. These couple days have been no exception. As is often the case, I actually find myself wishing I had more time to show my customers around the so many other places that I like so much.

Yesterday, we strolled through Salzburg, visiting some of the major sites and enjoying local specialties along the way. The city glowing with energy under a beautiful sunny sky, we set out this morning to visit the Hohensalzburg Fortress and Schloss Hellbrunn with its "water games." Great times with great people. My one disappointment for the day was that my old high school ice cream haunt had been completely renovated, and even that was not a total disappointment. Cafe Rialto is now quite the happening little place with a very trendy interior, and they still have the best ice cream in town. I'll miss our old corner table, though, and the tacky colors on the walls. Such is life - change happens.

Another highlight of the day was hanging out at the Augustinerbrau beer garden with my old friend, Sophia. Sharing stories, catching up, speculating with great anticipation about the events of our upcoming high school reunion; it was a typical afternoon chat between friends, but the atmosphere just felt right. The giant tree covered terrace was a perfect place to waste away an afternoon. Things are just beginning to get interesting... I can feel it.

Oh, and by the way, beef tartare and mashed potatoes in a cone...YUM! Who knew? The asparagus creme brulee was good too. Tomorrow, I'm going after some banana-chocolate-chili sorbet and rhubarb sherbet.


No comments:

Post a Comment